This position supports both the maintenance and burial goals of the cemeteries operation. Technical skill as well as knowledge of basic landscaping practices and equipment operation are desired for this position.
The Laborer position is responsible for active participation in the safe and efficient operation of a variety of equipment such as tractors, dump trailers, mowing equipment, string trimmers, edger's, backpack blowers, hedge trimmers and chain saws and various other hand tools. Work varies in the care and maintenance of cemetery grounds, operating equipment on various terrains and weather conditions, assisting with opening and closing of graves, and similar activities. This job is subject to rotating weekend shifts, stand-by-recall, overtime, working holidays and/or call back for emergencies and during all types of weather conditions.
- This positions shares in a weekend rotation and involves frequent weekend, holiday and after hour work.
- Requires good clear communication with all levels of our division as well as the public. Work is performed onsite at the cemetery and customers may approach crew members in the field for assistance.
- Safely operates dump truck, tractor with attachments, lawnmower, weedeater, vehicles, power tools, and hand tools to perform burials, landscape maintenance, work request, or other projects.
- Assist in preparing foundations for monuments, and installing or resetting markers.
- Assists with burial services including opening and closing the burial site, pre and post site checks and cleanup, assisting with setup and break down of equipment, laying plywood running boards, leading in services, parking cars, and acting as pallbearer as needed.
- This position plays an active role in disinterments as needed.
- Performs preventative maintenance of equipment and tools by conducting inspections, cleaning components, monitoring fluids, performing basic corrective repairs. May also perform repairs or assist with repairs on small engines and mowers.
- Submits written daily work logs, attends required staff meetings, safety training and reports absence in advance to supervisor and through an electronic records management tool.
Minimum Qualifications & Experience:
- Less than high school or equivalency.
- No experience.
- NC Class C Driver's License.
- This position is critical to emergency operations and will report to work in spite of or because of an emergency or disaster event.
A practical operation exercise will be conducted for all finalists
Additional Preferred Skills:
- Cemetery or landscaping experience.
- One or more years of related experience.
- Ability to back a tractor with trailer.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Farm and Ranch Jobs.