Syngenta is a leading agriculture company helping to improve global food security by enabling millions of farmers to make better use of available resources. Through world class science and innovative crop solutions, our 28,000 people in over 90 countries are working to transform how crops are grown. We are committed to rescuing land from degradation, enhancing biodiversity and revitalizing rural communities.
The Golden Harvest Agronomist will:
- Be the product and technology expert for both corn and soybean seed in the assigned commercial unit, both for Syngenta and competitive products.
- Lead product training process for Internal/External employees and customers of Golden Harvest Seeds
- Evaluate experimental trials to aid in training the sales force on new product launches, and to be able to provide marketing input into product advancements
- Provide input on production planning and portfolio, representing assigned district
- Sharpen competitive intelligence on pricing and products
- Support product based campaign development in the district
- Provides localized and targeted product, technology and agronomic information and advice to DM, Sales Reps, channel partners, customers and prospects.
- Promotes Syngenta products at meetings, field days, and one on one.
- Provides guidance and as needed direct involvement in handling service calls.
- Supports and coordinates plot locations and entries in the assigned area, analyzes and interprets data for promotional use and is the pivot point for Syngenta story amplification in local areas.
Accountabilities The Golden Harvest Agronomist will:
- Represent Product Management as needed on a local level to provide product knowledge and product expertise, both internally and externally
- Obtain buy-in from Commercial Operations on local portfolio direction and strategies
Manage the District product life cycle:
- Recommend products for commercial advancement in conjunction with R&D and Product Evaluation.
Provide product and portfolio needs that exist in a given geography to Product Managers & R&D
- Provide direction on needed testing environments, including possible cooperators, to R&D Trialing and Product Evaluation in order to get experimental data on all relevant environments within a given commercial unit.
Recommend commercial and competitive checks for experimental trials in order to make the best advancement decisions possible.
Provide local expertise to Product Managers on production planning and pricing.
- Teach and develop the agronomic skills of Sales Representatives, Seed Account Managers and Seed Advisors
- Call on customers with representatives and serve as a role model, teacher and coach to sales representatives and Seed Advisors
- Provide agronomic support and advice to growers and prospects and manage direct selling activities when necessary
- Member of the District team
- Key interface with Campaign team
- Partner with Sales Reps to plan strategies to effectively compete with competitor products utilizing working knowledge of those products.
- Continue to develop professionally by remaining current with new technologies, management innovations and sales management developments
Qualifications Knowledge, experience & capabilities:
• BS Agronomy / related field required with a minimum of 3 years’ experience preferred
• Deep knowledge of the seed industry
• Basic understanding of marketing principles and techniques
• Strong written and oral communication skills
• Understanding of statistical principals and data analysis
• Significant technical knowledge of product portfolio, product pipeline and product value propositions.
• Agronomic theory – knowledge of farming best practices, seed technologies, crop protection.
• Understanding of segmentation strategy and priorities
• 2-4 years of experience in Agronomy or sales as well as strong technical background or
• 2-4 years of experience in R&D role with strong understanding of sales/commercial aspectsCritical technical, professional and personal capabilities
• Problem solving skills (e.g. ability to diagnose issues with product performance and provide recommendations)
• Theoretical / practical sales knowledge (e.g., what to say and do depending on grower, dealer or retailer needs and unique situation)
• Customer facing skills: manage relationship, build trust, and offer support
• Self-management and prioritization skills; balance time across sales reps and accounts in assigned geographic region.
• Teaching / communication skills: ability to communicate highly technical information to growers, sales reps and accounts in a manner that is easily understandable
• Excellent computer/analytic skills in Windows including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
• Strong ability to transform trials and data into collateral that will leverage sales with Syngenta Products
Critical leadership capabilities
Critical success factors & key challenges
• Exhibited leadership amongst sales team and technical peers
• Actively pursues coaching and training of sales reps, channel partners and other assignees
• Creates professional and successful working environment with Sales Reps, District Managers and other key Syngenta personnel
• Takes timely and effective action to optimize sales opportunities or challenges
• Have understanding of internal Syngenta systems
• Successful and productive internal and external network
- 20% of work performed in a standard / home office environment
- 80% of work performed in vehicle, at meetings and in field locations with employees, co-workers, customers and other associates
- Ability to work irregular hours, days, evenings and sometimes weekends
- Ability to move seed bags approx. 20 – 60lb bags as needed, particularly during planting season.
- Ability to put up field posts and signs. Must be able to carry display units, coolers with beverages, tables/chairs etc. during internal and external field events.
- Ability to climb on and move equipment for weigh wagon use. Must be able to move weigh wagon crank to lift the tongue.
- Ability to travel by car and occasionally plane
- Participate and be recognized as leader in Ag industry and sales
- Proven track record of successfully completing projects
- All applicants must be eligible to work in the US.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Farm and Ranch Jobs.