Responsible for the general landscaping and horticulture throughout the Zoo and Zoombezi Bay including irrigation systems, the coordination/acquisition of plant materials and the implementation, construction and preservation of botanical displays.Responsible for the general landscaping and horticulture throughout the Zoo and Zoombezi Bay including irrigation systems, the coordination/acquisition of plant materials and the implementation, construction and preservation of botanical displays.
- Establishes and maintains high horticultural standards and practices.Manages and supports overall plant health and soil condition strategies.
- Oversees general landscape work throughout the Zoo and Zoombezi Bay.
- Oversees the development and implementation of maintenance programs, including irrigation systems, fertilization, pruning, pest and disease controlOversees the monitoring, reporting and treatments of pests, diseases, disorders and environmental concerns within Integrated Pest
- Management program.Detects plant and environmental problems and modifies treatment to improve plant quality.
- Responsible for implementation of final design for indoor and outdoor plantings and gardens.
- Coordinates and facilitates plant acquisitions including but not limited to identification, selection and acquisition of plant materials.
- Works with the landscape architect and exhibit designers to produce design concepts and final design using live plant materials.
- Coordinates and facilitates completion of landscape construction projects using outside contractors as well as zoo staff.Plans, assigns and reviews work, conducts performance reviews, provides and identifies training and development opportunities for staff, recommends corrective action when appropriate and interviews/recommends candidates for hire, promotions or transfer.
- Promotes the organization by participating in special events, presenting shows to plant clubs or societies, and conducting tours of the grounds.Assures safety of self, the collection, staff and visitors through proper safety training and techniques around the animals, equipment and vehicles.Oversees and performs pesticide application, maintains relevant logs.
- Provides construction support in the building and maintaining of garden pathways.
- Participates in cross-training activities as directed.
- Constantly strives to further the mission of the organization and avidly supports the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium, Zoombezi Bay, Safari Golf Club and The Wilds.
- Implements sustainable practices in daily tasks whenever possible.Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.Bachelor’s Degree in horticulture or related field required.
- Five years supervisory experience required.
- Minimum of five years horticulture experience required.
- Three years experience in construction trades preferred.
- Proven public speaking ability required.Must possess and maintain a State of Ohio Pesticide Applicators License .
- Ability to communicate well both verbally and in writing required.Ability to work a flexible schedule including evenings, weekends and holidays required.
- Ability to plan and organize work in an efficient and cost-effective manner and without direct supervision required.
- Ability to provide excellent guest service by positively interacting with guests and upholding the Make it G.R.E.A.T. standards required.
- Ability to develop and maintain cooperative working relationships with all Zoo team members and contacts regarding company business required.
- Ability to adhere to standard operating procedures including but not limited to safety protocols required.
- Proof of negative TB screening prior to placement and annually thereafter required.
- Possession of a valid Ohio motor vehicle operator’s license and a good driving record required.
- Ability to adhere to the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium’s drug-free workplace policy including but not limited to pre-employment, random, post-accident, reasonable suspicion and follow-up treatment required.
- Ability to successfully complete a criminal history background check annually required.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Farm and Ranch Jobs.