This position is responsible for the implementation and enforcement of State Statutes, rules and policies for the Dairy Division to ensure safe and wholesome milk and dairy products for the consumer and to maintain interstate markets for Minnesota's Dairy Industry. Implementation is accomplished through inspection, sampling, investigations and other regulatory work.
NOTE: This position will be based out of the inspector's home office and will cover a territory in central Minnesota. Specifically, the position will be responsible for inspections in the following counties: Benton, Crow Wing, Morrison and Southern Cass County (including McKinley, Bull Moose, Pine River, Barclay and Timothy Townships).
- High School diploma or equivalent PLUS a minimum of five (5) years of experience working as dairy field representative, in a dairy plant environment, in quality control or on a dairy farm or in a related industry
- Knowledge of milk and its components sufficient to understand milk pricing, quality and product standards;
- Technical knowledge of the principles used in the production and processing of milk and/or milk products sufficient to evaluate equipment, sanitation and processing procedures;
- Effective oral and written communication skills sufficient to communicate effectively with the public;
- Organizational skills sufficient to manage time, schedule job responsibilities, and maintain accurate and detailed records and reports;
- Proficient in basic computer applications sufficient to enter data, review and evaluate electronic data, write reports and correspond with industry;
- Currently possess and maintain an active/valid driver's license with an acceptable motor vehicle record subject to review; and,
- Available for travel and occasional overnight travel.
- Associate’s degree, or equivalent, in dairy production management, dairy agribusiness or other applied dairy science
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in agricultural science, animal or dairy, food technology or other biological science or other closely related field.
- Experience performing dairy or food inspections for a government agency.
- Knowledge of State and Federal laws and regulations as they apply to dairy farms and/or dairy and/or food manufacturing plants.
- Experience working with the public in a government enforcement capacity.
- Ability to position self to collect samples and inspect facilities.
- Ability to maintain a stationary or standing position for extended periods of time to perform field work and travel long distances.
- Ability to ascend/descend ladders and steps.
- Ability to detect product abnormalities to make appropriate product acceptability decisions.
- Ability to move up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to traverse slippery/uneven surfaces during all types of weather conditions.
- Communicate effectively with supervisors and workers in both office and field workplace locations that may be noisy environments.
At times, the employee will be working alone in remote and potentially hostile environments. All applicable State, Department and Unit safety policies are required to be followed.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Farm and Ranch Jobs.