This position provides assurance of a comfortable, healthy, and safe work environment for students, staff, and the general public. In addition, the position ensures a functional working, teaching, and learning environment by providing upkeep, repairs or replacement of all mechanical and equipment needs.
Job Duties include:
1. On a daily basis, execute the M State Service Commitment and Service Standards to ensure all stakeholders have a positive service experience.
2. Evaluate and make minor repairs to equipment, furnishings, HVAC systems and vehicles. Keep daily boiler logs and preventive maintenance records.
- Maintain, trouble shoot, and make repairs to facility equipment, plumbing and furniture by following manufacturer’s guidelines.
- Check the operation, maintain and repair heating, cooling, electrical and air handling system. Daily maintenance of boilers.
- Maintain health and safety equipment, fire alarms and security system.
- Install new equipment in classrooms. Repair and upkeep of instructional equipment.
- Handle recyclable materials
- Use human relation skills by providing information and answering questions from personnel and the general public who use the facility. Work as a team to accomplish desired outcomes.
- Conduct security checks of the facility and comply with rules and regulations related to emergencies.
- Assist with the shipping and receiving of materials.
- Complete other related duties as assigned.
4. Assist with snow removal as needed. Maintain outdoor equipment as needed.
- Operate snow removal equipment and vehicles such as trucks, tractors, and snow blowers.
- Conduct ground maintenance as needed which will include snow and ice removal, and other duties as assigned.
5. Maintain proper inventory of repair items and chemicals.
- Evaluate each task and order supplies in order to complete assignment.
- Keep supplies on hand for daily upkeep of equipment and furnishings.
6. Assist GMW’s with special event set-up and emergency clean-up situations.
- Help locate and set up equipment, tables and chairs for special events.
- Give assistance in cleaning up spills, water overflow and other types of out of the ordinary situations.
7. Repair of carpets, ceramic, quarry and composition tile. Install and replace cove base.
- Removal of damaged surfaces, p reparation of sub-surfaces, proper cutting of goods and application of adhesive.
- Determine areas to be repaired proper selection of materials and equipment to complete the task
8. Perform other duties as assigned to ensure the smooth functioning of the department and maintain the reputation of the organization as a viable business partner
- Knowledge of general methods and practices of a variety of trade areas (e.g. mechanics, masonry, welding, electrical, plumbing and carpentry) sufficient to assist licensed trades workers and to repair machinery, tools and facilities in a timely and safe manner.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety measures related to trades work sufficient to safely and efficiently perform the job duties.
- Ability to safely use hand and power hand tools.
- Ability to safely operate and maintain trucks, tractors, and other ground and road maintenance equipment.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to provide work instructions to unskilled helpers.
- Valid Driver’s license necessary to drive department vehicles such as pick-ups, snow plows, sanding trucks, and state fleet vehicles on campus as well as off.
- Driving record that will pass the State of Minnesota Department of Motor Vehicles review.
- High school diploma and two years of post-secondary education.
- Two years of appropriate work experience.
- State of Minnesota 1st Class boilers license.
- Customer Service skills sufficient to actively listen to and understand customer needs and provide accurate information and appropriate alternatives in a timely, thorough, courteous, respectful, and professional manner.
- Employment skills and knowledge such as time management, human relations, organizational, and basic problem solving.
- Experience in repairs of electrical, plumbing, carpentry, and heating/cooling systems.
- Related equipment operation, maintenance tools, OSHA and general safety procedures/regulations.
- Chemicals, tools and machines related to maintenance.
- General plant mechanical operations.
- General grounds keeping and horticultural practices.
- Vehicle and equipment repair.
- Ability to perform physically demanding tasks such as lifting, carrying and bending.
- Physical health and endurance sufficient to perform work functions, including the use of ladders and scaffolding.
- Able to lift and carry approximately 50 lbs.
- Frequent standing, walking, lifting, carry, pushing and pulling.
In accordance with the Minnesota State Colleges & Universities (MnSCU) Vehicle Fleet Safety Program, employees driving on college/university business who use a rental or state vehicle shall be required to conform to MnSCU’s vehicle use criteria and consent to a Motor Vehicle Records check.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Farm and Ranch Jobs.