Syngenta is a leading agriculture company helping to improve global food security by enabling millions of farmers to make better use of available resources. Through world class science and innovative crop solutions, our 28,000 people in over 90 countries are working to transform how crops are grown. We are committed to rescuing land from degradation, enhancing biodiversity and revitalizing rural communities.
About This Job
The purpose of the Plant Scientist role is to drive genetic gain by improving experimental designs, data analysis, and statistics. You will be responsible for the implementation of computational tools in breeding, trait development, and product selection. This role will also support the development of new tools including phenotyping with cereals expertise.
- Serve as consulting resource for experimental design and data analysis methodologies for target Seeds Product Development (SPD) scientists
- Prepare and conduct training to Seeds Research & Development community on relevant topics of statistics and data science
- Conduct regular new user and refresher trainings on selected computational tools to the SPD staff
- Drive trial quality from SPD side, support development and application reasonable Key Performance Indicators (KPIs). Serve as contact to BA for trialling excellence
- Lead statistical analysis, implementation and tools deployment for:
- Genotype evaluation (experimental design, data management, statistic model)
- Environmental characterization (weather stations, soil analysis, crop practices, crop modelling)
- Genotype and environment interactions (GEI) interpretation (stability, limiting factors).
- Germplasm management
- Data management, analysis and reporting
- Serve as “power user” subject matter expert for the ongoing development and optimization of at critical computational applications used by Seeds Product Development and provide user support for users within the defined SPD work group.
- Communicate opportunities for improvement of computational applications to the development or maintenance teams, based on personal use or user feedback
Essential Knowledge & Experience
- Ability to work within a matrix environment spread across geographies and cultures
- Strong stakeholder management skills
- Analytical thinking skills
- Strong influencing skills to lead alignment and adoption on process and methods
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- People and leadership skills that will build bridges
- Utilizing computational tools in breeding, trait development, and product selection
- PhD degree in Statistics, Data Science or Computational Biology
- 5+ years of experience with quantitative genetics, genomic selection, and breeding wheat
- Advanced expertise of principles and activities in genetics, plant breeding and testing
- Advanced expertise in experimental design, data analysis procedures, and statistics
- Advanced expertise in computer applications in science
- Advanced expertise in agronomy and trialing
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Farm and Ranch Jobs.