Pioneer has a rich history in the development of seeds and technology that advance agriculture. We look to recruit and retain the best and brightest minds in science and agriculture to advance high quality germplasm and sustainable practices throughout the world.
Precision phenotyping is changing the way that researchers and farmers study and manage agriculture, and is being driven by the realized value and promise of precision agriculture. Pioneer is seeking to hire a 6-month intern to contribute to the development of precision phenotyping technologies including aerial, sub surface, and proximal methods.
The intern will be part of a multidisciplinary team spanning the fields of data science, geospatial mapping, statistics, computer science, remote sensing, engineering, agronomy, and plant breeding. An applicant’s work in this area will be focused on advancing phenotyping technologies in our research organization for several crops worldwide, as well as developing precision tools for use by Pioneer growers.
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Leading and contributing to data collection in the field.
- Applying machine learning approaches to solve phenotyping problems.
- Leveraging geospacial resources to build new tools and analysis approaches.
- Processing and statistical evaluation of precision phenotyping information.
- Contributing to the testing of novel sensors and applications for collecting data.
- Quickly identifying issues, proposing solutions, and leading implementation of improvements.
- Aiding in the design and execution of experiments for precision phenotyping.
- Collaborating with software development teams to develop and release tools in precision agriculture.
- Sharing research findings internally through presentations and scientific meetings.
- Promote a safe and professional working environment while maintaining commitment to Pioneer’s core values.
A successful applicant will have
- Experience making statistical inferences into data.
- Knowledge of machine learning and/or image analysis processes.
- Experience in geospatial methods.
- Knowledge of experimental design and hypothesis testing.
- Some experience with software development and/or computer programming.
- Knowledge or experience in multidisciplinary settings and integrating multiple information areas.
- Demonstrated leadership in team environments, and adapting to rapid change.
- Willingness to serve clients and adaptive to their needs.
- Superior communication skills with a demonstrated ability to work across disciplines with a variety of people.
- Other qualifications are the ability to predict and meet deadlines, and exceptional attention to detail.
- Demonstrated abilities in self-motivation and challenging assumptions.
Minimum Job Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in plant sciences, remote sensing, data science, geospatial studies, engineering, or a related field, OR two or more years of related experience equivalent to the education background listed.
- Some experience in agriculture, remote sensing, surveying, mapping, image analysis, geospatial methods, computer science, or data science.
When applying for this position please upload a copy of your resume or curriculum vitae along with a cover letter.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Farm and Ranch Jobs.