The Manager of Nolen Greenhouses oversees the professional staff responsible for care of glasshouse plant collections, the maintenance of glasshouse facilities and climate control systems, and the propagation, production, and shipping of approximately 80,000 plants grown annually for glasshouse exhibitions and outdoor displays. The Manager of Nolen Greenhouses will directly supervise glasshouse gardening and maintenance staff in the Nolen Greenhouses and work closely with colleagues in Horticulture and other NYBG divisions to ensure that production goals and schedules are met. The Manager of Nolen Greenhouses develops and implements production request lists and planting schedules, develops and implements best management practices for plant health, coordinates glasshouse maintenance activities, and oversees climate control systems and settings for production facilities.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
- Directly supervise a work force responsible for growing a wide variety of plant material (annuals, perennials, bulbs, tropicals, and hardy woody plants) for collections, changing exhibitions, and seasonal displays.
- Manage plant orders and develop plant production request lists and crop production schedules to meet institutional deadlines.
- Develop and implement best management practices for plant production including fertilizer schedules, plant movements and placement, pest and disease management, greenhouse growing environment, and growing techniques.
- Develop and maintain records of cultivation practices, procedures, and techniques.
- Oversee loading and shipping of plants.
- Manage inventory of supplies needed for greenhouse operations and plant production.
- Collaborate with the Director of Plant Health and staff to monitor plant health and establish and implement strategies for fertilization, integrated pest management, and identification and treatment of greenhouse pests and diseases.
- Establish optimal climate settings for greenhouse collections and plant production and work with the Director of the Nolen Greenhouse to monitor and adjust as necessary.
- Coordinate glasshouse maintenance activities with Director of the Nolen Greenhouses, Senior Glasshouse Preservation Specialist, and Operations staff.
- Establish annual operating budgets glasshouse work and manages expenditures accordingly.
- Instruct and direct volunteers and students in the School of Professional Horticulture.
- Represent NYBG at professional conferences, in the media, and for institutional events and activities when appropriate.
- Other related work as required including some weekends and holiday assignments.
- 5 years’ experience supervising professional horticulturists in a glasshouse setting
- 3 years’ experience producing and forcing diverse plant material for horticultural display
- Demonstrated knowledge of integrated pest management (IPM) tools and techniques, including the use and management of beneficial insects in a glasshouse environment
- Strong foundation in growing medium and fertility management for glasshouse crops
- Demonstrated proficiency with greenhouse climate control and mechanical systems
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and proficiency in MS Office programs
- 2 year technical college degree in horticulture, greenhouse management or closely related area, or equivalent work experience
- Commercial Pesticide Applicator–Category 3A License issued by the State of New York Department of Environmental Conservation at time of appointment or the ability to obtain such within six months of hire
- A driver’s license valid in the state of New York at the time of hire
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Farm and Ranch Jobs.