Under direct supervision the Ranch Hand is responsible for maintaining cattle herd feeding schedules and feeding production. Supervises range grazing and moves cattle to next pasture as appropriate. Supervises feedlot operation. Operates tribal owned equipment in proper and safe manor. Maintains confidentiality of all privileged information.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Responsible for feeding of cattle and nutritional supplements by moving cattle to different area of the range as necessary.
- Selects time and amount of feed and supplements, in coordination with Ranch Manager.
- Adds extra supplements during caving periods and selects weaning time based upon the feed available.
- Monitors the condition of cattle and recommends vaccination.
- Assists veterinarian, recommends retention of heifers, recommends selection of bulls and identifies culling of the herd.
- Responsible for alfalfa production and pasture maintenance, including coordinating with Ranch Manager on the Preparation of the fields, planting, irrigating and applying fertilizers and pesticides and makes arrangement for haying.
- Responsible for maintenance of Ranch buildings and equipment, also helps maintain equipment in proper condition, including repairing fences maintaining and repairing water drainage and water ditches and performing minor repairs as necessary.
- Supervises annual inventory of all Ranch assigned equipment, including up-to-date status of each piece’s working condition.
- Performs other duties as required.
- High School Diploma or GED and two years progressive cattle and agricultural ranch operation; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must possess a valid California or Nevada driver’s license at time of employment and be capable of being insured to properly operate all types of Ranch/Feedlot equipment and machinery, pick-up trucks, tractors and other vehicles.
- Must be able to be insurable by the Tribe’s Driving Policy.
- Must have own horse and we will allow it to board at the Ranch.
- Must be able to successfully pass a pre-employment drug/alcohol screen and background investigation.
- Preference will be given to Qualified Native American Indians.
Knowledge, Abilities, Skills, and Certifications:
- Ability to communicate effectively in the English language both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain professional relationships with individuals of varying social and cultural backgrounds and with co-workers at all levels.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision.
- Ability to work irregular hours including working during inclement weather conditions.
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in verbal or written format.
- Skill in operating and maintaining farm equipment and machinery.
- Skill in handling and caring for livestock.
- Skill in performing a variety of electrical, plumbing, carpentry and welding work sufficient to maintain structures and equipment in proper condition.
- Skilled horsemanship and skill with cattle.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Farm and Ranch Jobs.