Summary of Essential Job Functions:
- Effectively works with and communicates with other staff, volunteers, security, and visitors.
- Performs extensive variety of horticultural tasks including planting, weeding, mulching, and irrigating in display beds, woodland slope, crabapple allees, rose and shrub borders, etc, as needed.
- Performs specific perennial & annual plant maintenance such as dividing, pruning, deadheading and fertilization; transplants shrubs as needed.
- Shears yew, holly, barberry, quince, & spiraea hedges, and prunes shrubs & trees, including crabapples, lilacs, and wisteria.
- Mows, edges, weeds and fertilizes lawn.
- Operates golf cart and trailer safely, and maintains as needed.
- Operates and maintains hand and power tools and equipment, such as string trimmers, gas-powered hedgers, SKAG mower, snow blower, (walk-behind) snowplow.
- Maintains pathways, allees, perimeter, and stairs (removes weeds, leaves, debris, snow and ice).
- Maintains ornamental fountains as needed.
- Performs general building maintenance as needed.
- Picks up and removes trash from site; inspects site for graffiti and vandalism, etc.
- Reports on unsafe or potentially hazardous conditions within Garden, and secures areas concerned.
- Works weekend days/holidays if needed.
- Performs other work as required.
- Diploma or certificate in horticulture, or commensurate field experience, including perennial and annuals maintenance, hedging, etc.
- Experience working with volunteer gardeners.
- Valid Driver’s License
- Pesticide Applicator’s License a plus
Establishment and maintenance of a safe work environment is the shared responsibility of this organization and employees at every level. The Conservancy will make every effort to assure a safe environment and be in compliance with federal, state, and local safety regulations. Employees are expected to obey safety rules and to exercise caution in all their work activities. Accordingly, employees should be aware of any hazards, which could cause an injury or accident (e.g., spills, obstacles in walkways). If an employee discovers a potential dangerous condition, he/she should alert other employees and notify his/her supervisor immediately.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Farm and Ranch Jobs.