The City of Blue Ash Park Maintenance Department is one of the leaders in municipal green space care. We are seeking candidates to fill a full-time Supervisor position within the Park Maintenance Department to help maintain our beautiful public spaces.
This full-time position will enjoy paid, on-site training; contributions into the Ohio Public Employees Retirement System; free individual membership to the Blue Ash Recreation Center with eligibility for family members; and discounts at the Blue Ash Golf Course, Sandtrap Grill and Blue Ash Café.
Examples of Duties:
- Work with and manage a staff responsible for the maintenance of multiple city properties and parks including general maintenance, turf, landscape and horticulture care.
- Understand agronomy and environmental turfgrass management practices including pest, disease and weed management.
- Diagnose plant/turf nutrition and pest control needs including proper applications of fertilization and herbicides as well as documentation of appropriate record-keeping according to local, state and federal guidelines.
- Calibrate, operate and maintain spraying and spreading equipment.
- Oversee the planning, ordering and inventory of fertilizers and herbicides.
- Maintain multiple irrigation systems throughout the city including startups, programming, calibrating, repairing and winterizing.
- Operate hand/power tools as well as heavy equipment necessary to complete projects such as, but not limited to loaders, tillers and mowers.
- Instruct staff on the proper usage and operation of mowing and other applicable power equipment.
- Assists in snow removal utilizing brushes, blowers and walk-behind snow machines on walkways/drives as well as plow vehicles (non-CDL) in parking lots and on roadways.
- Helps to plan, develop and evaluate a comprehensive park-management program alongside the park maintenance staff as well as other departments.
- Trains and evaluates staff on proper turf and landscape maintenance methods and techniques.
- Oversees staff safety requirements, ensuring that all staff is properly trained in their areas as well as on all necessary equipment.
- Continually develops and motivates staff members through trainings, evaluations, and regularly scheduled mentor opportunities to excel their development and advancement.
- Prioritizes, prepares and assigns daily and weekly work schedules.
- Communicates and coordinates cohesively with contractors on projects and maintenance work.
- Must have ability to work outdoors under different weather conditions for extended periods of time.
- Ability to stand and/or walk up to 6+ hours during a shift.
- Ability to successfully pass a drug screen and a comprehensive background check.
- Able to work weekends, holidays and special events.
- Must possess valid Driver License.
- Bachelor's and/or Associate's degree from an accredited College or University in Turfgrass, Horticulture, Landscape Construction or related field or equivalent combination of education/experience.
- Experience with automatic irrigation systems and ability to follow landscape/irrigation plans.
- Ohio Commercial Applicator License or the ability to obtain one in the first 6 months.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in the field is preferred.
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described above are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position or that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Farm and Ranch Jobs.