Perform semi-skilled work in the maintenance, care, and modification of Amarillo College grounds and landscapes which includes the operation of electrically-powered and gasoline-powered groundskeeping equipment and machines, and the use of small hand and power tools or equipment in planting, cultivating, and trimming grounds and landscaping. Also perform maintenance on groundskeeping equipment and tools, and make minor repairs (within demonstrated capability) as directed.
- Maintain grounds and landscapes by seeding, watering, mulching, fertilizing, and applying chemicals to outside plantings, lawns and turf, as well as inside flowers and cuttings used in transplanting.
- Inspect plant materials for insects, disease, physical and mechanical damage and identify replacements.
- Transplant, prune, trim, and cultivate trees, shrubs, ground cover, and flowers.
- Store and care for bulbs and cuttings in the winter season
- Mow lawns with riding or push mowers.
- Trim and edge around trees, shrubs, ground cover, flowers, sidewalks and buildings.
- Weed, thin and clean flower beds and other grounds by hand or utilizing proper tools and equipment.
- Set up, adjust, repair, and clean irrigation systems.
- Provide a record of grounds and landscape watering and chemical spraying by maintaining appropriate logs of areas watered, duration of watering, and the application of chemicals, including areas sprayed, amount and type of chemicals used, substances sprayed and reason.
- Perform campus-wide general maintenance and repairs by installing, removing, repairing and maintaining landscape lighting, signs, cables, chains, barricades, gates, bicycle racks, posts, fences, and rock walls as applicable.
- Repair parking lots, fields, and other grounds areas as applicable.
- Remove unsightly trash and debris from areas by regularly inspecting grounds, drains, manhole covers, etc., for debris.
- Rake, sweep and bag leaves, debris, dirt and trash from streets, sidewalks, parking lots, courts, and other Amarillo College grounds areas.
- Transport trash to designated central collection points.
- Assist in preventing accidents resulting from snow or ice covered walkways, parking lots, courts, and other Amarillo College ground snow removal equipment, snow blowers, tractors or mowers with blades, and/or shovels.
- Spread sand, chat and/or salt on snow or ice-covered surfaces.
- Prepare outdoor locations for use by students, staff, visitors, vendors, and the public as needed by campus operations, as applicable.
- Apply chemicals used in grounds keeping (horticulture, turf management, and floriculture) properly and safely by wearing prescribed protective clothing, masks, and/or rubber gloves and boots.
- Follow written and/or verbal directions for mixing chemical compounds according to specifications, apply chemicals properly on grounds and landscapes designated for their use, dispose of residual chemical products as directed, and properly store and label chemicals for future use.
- Safely operate Amarillo College vehicles (pick-up trucks, tractors, street sweepers, carts or riding mowers) by obeying applicable traffic laws.
- Safely operate all Amarillo College power tools and equipment, following operator instructions.
- Ensure grounds maintenance equipment are operational by performing routine and preventative maintenance and cleaning of tools, equipment and machines within reasonable capabilities.
- May be required to report to work as scheduled when Amarillo College offices are closed due to severe weather.
- Promote continuous improvement of workplace safety and environmental practices.
- Complete all work related paperwork in a neat, orderly and timely manner.
- Comply with all college, state and local procedures, rules and regulations.
- At times, work under stress and/or meet rigorous deadlines.
- Work independently and as a team member.
- Exhibit professional behavior while assisting with the needs of students, faculty, staff, visitors and co-workers.
- Conduct self with professionalism and respect toward others.
- Participate in and complete performance assessments/evaluations as assigned.
- As an Amarillo College employee, seek knowledge of and pledge to actively engage in a culture of caring striving to serve students, peers and the community by embracing the AC Core Values: Wow, Family, Fun, Innovation, and Yes!
- Perform additional duties or job functions that are required and deemed necessary by supervisory personnel.
SALARY: $9.04 per hour minimum
GENERAL QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
Required: 6 months experience in grounds maintenance work. Thorough knowledge of hazards and safety precautions related to the horticultural trade.
Preferred: 6 months experience in grounds maintenance work in a commercial setting. Experience with sprinkler systems. Experience in concrete work.
Required: Completion of the Eleventh Grade
Preferred: High School Diploma or GED
Required: Current State of Texas Pesticide Private Applicator’s License or ability to obtain the license. Valid Driver’s License with a 3 year safe driving record
Preferred: Texas Commercial Driver’s License with safe driving record or able to obtain the license
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to identify disease or insect damage to plant and turf materials
- Ability to lift, carry, push, pull and maneuver heavy objects up to fifty (50) pounds
- Ability to frequently stand, walk, bend, stoop, kneel and reach on a daily basis
- Ability to operate manual, electric and/or gasoline-powered groundskeeping equipment and machines
- Ability to report to work if scheduled when campus classes/offices are closed due to severe weather
- Ability to maneuver objects in excess of 200 pounds with the assistance of other/appropriate equipment
- Ability to climb and work on ladders, and to stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, or crawl as necessary
- Ability to work in various and uncomfortable climatic temperatures
- Ability to work in all types of outside weather conditions
- Ability to deal with people in a professional manner
- Ability to maintain a neat and clean appearance
- Ability to maintain equanimity in the face of resistance, indifference, or hostility
- Ability to work independently and as team member
- Ability to work under stress
- Ability to work from written and verbal instructions and from sketches
- Knowledge of college and department policies and procedures, safety rules and regulations
- Knowledge of hazards and safety precautions related to the horticultural trade.
- Proper methods of lifting and moving heavy objects
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Farm and Ranch Jobs.