Responsible for the care and maintenance of grass/turf, flowers, shrubs, and trees located Largo's parks and athletic fields. Highly skilled in arboriculture, agronomy, and related fields with experience in large parks setting. A crew leader who is passionate about the work, self-motivated and team oriented. Position reports to a Parks Supervisor.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Plans, supervises and assigns the work for crews in the field
- Operates and trains crew members in the safe operation of light and heavy equipment.
- Provides instruction in the proper horticultural maintenance of flowers, trees, and plants and direction to those engaged in planting, removing, transplanting, cultivating, trimming, spraying, fertilizing, pruning and irrigation necessary for the healthy growth of trees, shrubs, plants, and flowers in City facilities.
- Assists in landscaping design and drawing of plans and blueprints.
- Responds to citizen concerns/complaints, assists with shelter rentals, and works with community groups.
- Performs irrigation repair and construction.
- Installs and maintains landscaping.
- Inspects parks landscaping and trees to detect evidence of diseases, insects, irrigation problems, or other conditions endangering or inhibiting the proper growth of trees, shrubs, plants, and flowers. Takes corrective measures when required by mixing and applying fertilizer, pesticides or herbicides. Orders chemicals and fertilizer.
- Makes minor and major repairs to tools and irrigation equipment used on park premises.
- Purchases and ensures the quality of plant material.
- May supervise inmates for periods of time.
- Performs safety inspections.
- Performs related work as required.
Training and Experience:
- High school diploma or GED and at least two (2) years related experience in landscape maintenance, nursery, or horticultural operation preferably in a commercial setting or BS, Horticulture or Horticulture Science or related degree and at least one year directly related experience
- Supervisory or crew leader experience preferred.
- Requires State of Florida Restricted Pesticide License issued for public use with Ornamental and Turf endorsement. Must be obtained during the probationary period (six months from date of hire)
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Related knowledge and skill:
- of modern practices and principles of horticulture, arboriculture, agronomy, and related fields., native plants, and drought tolerant landscaping and water conservation strategies
- proper use and safe operation of hand and power operated tools utilized in all phases of horticulture work
- insects, parasites, diseases, and other infestation which affect trees, shrubs, plants, flowers, and grass and the composition and application of insecticides, fungicide, and herbicides for their control.
- plant biology and the common and botanical names of local trees, plants, and flowers.
- irrigation systems and turf management, and the ANSI standards and guidelines for trimming, deadwooding, removal, planting, and staking.
- understand and follow oral and written instructions and communicate clearly and concisely.
- detect tree, plant and turf diseases and determine corrective measures
- read, interpret, and develop landscape plans
- understand chemical and fertilizer labels and plan, assign, and supervise the work of a small group of staff
- perform heavy, strenuous manual labor, sometimes under unfavorable weather conditions.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Work Environment: 5% inside a climate controlled building. 95% outside which may include driving.
Physical Requirements: The essential functions of the job require: sitting approximately one (1) hour per day, standing approximately three (3) hours per day, and walking approximately four (4) hours per day. The work requires frequent: bending/stooping, climbing a ladder, crawling, fine manipulations, grasping, kneeling, pulling, pushing, reaching, repetitive motion, lifting/carrying of objects weighing up to 15 pounds, frequent lifting/carrying of objects weighing 15 to 44 pounds, and frequent lifting/carrying of objects weighing 45 pounds and over.
Sensory Requirements: Hearing: Ability to perform tasks safely over the noise from heavy equipment such as tractors and tools. Speaking: Ability to communicate orally with others in person and on the telephone. Seeing: Ability to see and read computer monitor screens, operate a vehicle, and read fine print.
Driving Requirements: The work requires frequent driving and possession of a valid Florida Class "E" Driver License and may require a Commercial Drivers License as designated by the position assigned within six months
Other Machines: The work requires the ability to operate the following machines: tractors and front end loaders; spray rig, GPS, and computer software.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Farm and Ranch Jobs.