The City of Norfolk's Department of Recreation, Parks and Open Space is currently seeking to hire a Groundskeeper for the Park Maintenance Division.
Groundskeepers working within the Park Maintenance Division will be responsible cutting grass, repairing damaged lawns, pruning trees and shrubs, and applying horticultural chemicals. They also participate in the grounds maintenance and landscape activities to various facilities and public properties within the City of Norfolk.
Essential functions include but are not limited to:
- Maintains the grounds, cleans area and assists with landscaping by cleaning sidewalks, mowing lawns, trimming trees and shrubs, sweeping, loading wood debris, feeding a chipper and using a blower to remove sawdust, chips and shavings, removing trees and stumps, operating chippers and stump grinders, raking leaves, sweeping and edging, preparing and planting flower beds, seeding the lawns, caring for plants, removing insects and picking up litter.
- Secures areas for public safety in emergencies by clearing streets, walkways, moving trash cans and loose pots, removing branches, bushes and refuse from grounds, assisting emergency personnel and being on call to respond to emergencies.
- Operates and maintains vehicles and equipment by checking fluid levels, refueling, checking tire pressure, fuses and light bulbs, cleaning, adjusting and sharpening.
- Work requires the ability to read and understand written instructions, to understand simple processes and the routine operation of machines. Level of knowledge equivalent to less than high school or equivalency.
- Three months of experience in greenhouse/landscaping or in a related field required.
The preferred candidate will possess the following:
- Six months of experience in greenhouse or landscaping
- Valid Class A or B Commercial Driver's License
- Pesticide Applicator's License
Additional Information & Requirements
- Valid Driver's License.
- Class A or B Commercial Driver's License may be required depending upon area of assignment.
- Registered Pesticide Technician (Category 60) required within twelve months of employment.
CPR/First Aid Certification may be required depending upon area of assignment within six months of employment.
Work Hours: Monday - Friday 6:30 a.m.- 3:00 p.m. Work hours subject to change.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Farm and Ranch Jobs.