Plan, organize and oversee a function of the Parks and Recreation Department including general maintenance of parks and recreational facilities; and perform a variety of technical tasks relative to assigned area of responsibility.
- Display a willingness to assume and visibly demonstrate mentoring and coaching, role modeling, city's rules and regulations, and leadership to staff members by recognizing and developing talent.
- Display honest, trustworthy, and ethical behavior when dealing with internal and external customers.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Regular attendance that is punctual and dependable is required.
- Recommend and assist in the implementation of goals and objectives; establish schedules and methods for assigned activities; implement policies and procedures.
- Plan, prioritize, assign, supervise and review the work of staff involved in assigned area; prepare work schedules and evaluate the job performance of employees.
- Evaluate operations and activities of assigned responsibilities; recommend improvements and modifications; prepare various reports on operations and activities.
- May participate in budget preparation and administration; prepare cost estimates for budget recommendations; submit justifications for budget items; monitor and control expenditures.
- Instruct and train maintenance staff in the safe and proper operation of tools and equipment; ensure that safety rules and guidelines are followed by the staff.
- Supervise and participate in planting, watering and maintaining landscaped areas including bushes, trees, flowers, shrubs, and lawns; trim and prune bushes, trees and shrubs; stake trees as necessary.
- Mix and apply chemical pesticides, herbicides and fungicides to recreational areas; maintain chemical and spray equipment inventory.
- Supervise and participate in a variety of duties related to the installation, maintenance and repair of irrigation systems; locate and repair water breaks; install, adjust, maintain and repair electronic timers, electronic and hydraulic valves and controllers; repair a wide variety of sprinkler heads and lines.
- Participate in the selection of staff; provide or coordinate staff training; work with employees to correct deficiencies; implement discipline procedures.
- Participate in a variety of construction and building maintenance projects; construct and paint signs, benches, shelves, and other facilities; perform minor carpentry, electrical, and plumbing work.
- Maintain inventory of equipment, materials and supplies; recommend replacement, refurbishing, or restocking as needed.
- Supervise and participate in a variety of construction activities including pouring and finishing concrete, wood and metal frame construction and plumbing installation and repair.
- Supervise and participate in the maintenance and preparation of athletic fields, swimming pools, ball fields and parks sodding activities.
- Supervise and assist with the installation, maintenance and repair of water lines and irrigation systems in parks and ball fields.
- Supervise the removal of ice and snow from sidewalks and parking lots.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Methods, techniques, tools and the operational characteristics of mechanical equipment used in the construction and maintenance of landscaped areas.
- Principles and practices of recreational grounds maintenance and operations.
- Basic budgeting procedures and techniques.
- Basic mathematical principles and practices.
- Modern office practices, procedures and computer equipment.
- Standardized Microsoft Office products.
- Methods and techniques for maintaining recreational facilities.
- Methods of turf maintenance and grooming, according to assignment.
- Safe work practices.
- General landscaping and mowing methods.
- Safe application of various chemicals including herbicides and pesticides.
- Operation and maintenance of a variety of equipment used in recreational grounds maintenance.
- Principles and techniques of supervision and training.
- Principles and procedures of record keeping.
- Pertinent Federal, State, and local laws, codes and regulations.
- Materials, methods, practices and equipment used in park and related recreational facilities maintenance and construction.
- Occupational hazards and standard safety precautions necessary in the work.
- Practices and procedures involved in construction of parks, athletic fields, and other recreational facilities.
- Principles and practices of turf grass science, according to area of assignment.
- The principles behind and methods of using specialized turf grass maintenance equipment, according to area of assignment.
- General maintenance requirements for parks and recreational grounds maintenance.
- Operate a variety of equipment used in recreational grounds maintenance.
- Participate in monitoring and coordinating a budget.
- Estimate necessary time, manpower, equipment, materials and supplies needed to perform maintenance activities.
- Supervise, train and evaluate staff.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Perform work in adverse weather conditions.
- Interpret and apply Federal, State and local policies, procedures, laws and regulations.
- Analyze and make basic plumbing repairs and electrical malfunctions in park facilities.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Farm and Ranch Jobs.