Basic Job Description:
The Manager of Outdoor Gardens will manage all aspects of planning, maintenance, daily care, and supervision of the Outdoor Gardens, including Seasonal Displays, Ladies’ Border, Perennial Garden, Seasonal Walk, Everett Children’s Adventure Garden, Home Gardening Center, Rock Garden, Native Plant Garden, Rose Garden, and growing areas at the Horticulture Operations Center. He/She will also directly supervise the Outdoor Gardens staff in planting, pruning, transplanting, plant health care, grooming, and general care and presentation of the Outdoor Garden areas; coordinate irrigation in appropriate areas; and the management and maintenance of all supplies and equipment in these areas.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
- Work closely with Horticulture management and curatorial staff to implement the best procedures and horticultural maintenance practices to achieve the highest horticultural standards and operational efficiencies for the gardens
- Monitor conditions of all garden areas and makes recommendations for the care and maintenance; implements recommendations
- Manage the growing of plants and the maintenance of the Horticultural Operations Center growing facilities P-20, gravel field, shade structure, Alpine House, and pit houses
- Collaborate with Plant Health Director to monitor, diagnose plant health issues, make recommendations, and implement solutions, including improvement to cultural practices
- Collaborate with Curatorial Staff to organize plant orders; collaborate with Plant Records to facilitate communication and execution of plant inventories; supply plant lists for Display Labels
- Work closely with other Garden departments to facilitate, coordinate, and implement construction, installation, and other work for landscape, gardens, public and special events, educational programs, and exhibitions
- Manage Outdoor Garden Building and organize purchase of plants, horticultural supplies, and other materials as necessary.
- Supervise volunteers, interns, and School of Professional Horticulture students while on rotation with Outdoor Gardens
- Other work as required
- Minimum of 5 years experience in fine garden maintenance, landscape maintenance and management, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- New York State Pesticide Applicators License Categories 3A (upon or within 6 months of hire) with the ability to obtain others, if necessary
- Driver’s License valid in New York State
- Minimum of two-year technical degree in horticulture, landscape management, or closely related field
- Nursery Management/propagation experience desirable
- Experience in work force management
- Proficiency in suite of Microsoft Office software required, experience with GIS desirable
- Flexibility and creative problem solving skills
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Farm and Ranch Jobs.