Brookside Gardens, a horticultural display garden in Montgomery County, Maryland, seeks a hands-on gardener with broad horticultural knowledge and experience. This position is responsible for maintaining and designing permanent and seasonal displays in the newly planted Parking Garden, including extensive sunny perennial and shrub borders, large containers, mixed woodland plantings, micro-bioretention areas, pond edges, and seasonal displays. The Parking Garden opened in 2016 following an extensive construction project to improve visitor access, parking and amenities at the Gardens' main entrance and visitors center. While much of the permanent landscape is complete, there are opportunities for creative original design and innovative garden improvements.
Examples of Important Duties:
- Maintains varied landscapes, plant collections and seasonal displays to exceptional standards, including planting, pruning, weeding, mulching, fertilizing, spraying, staking, and watering
- Designs, orders plants, and installs artistic specialized seasonal plant displays for exhibit and education
- Assists in planning and implementation of landscape projects, both plant materials and hardscape. Researches, estimates, and recommends materials, equipment, supplies and other resources needed
- Uses IPM practices to identify, monitor and manage pests, diseases, and weeds
- Plans work, instructs, supervises, evaluates and works alongside staff and volunteers
- Operates a range of landscape equipment and vehicles
- Participates in snow removal
- Prepares and presents interpretive and educational programs
- Maintains records, files and inventories pertinent to areas of responsibility
- Interacts with visitors daily
- Bachelor's degree in horticulture or related field and 1 year of progressively responsible experience in horticulture or closely related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Valid driver's license
- Ability to obtain a Maryland State Pesticide Applicator's License within 6 months of employment.
- Considerable knowledge of ornamental plants suitable to the area and how to use them effectively in landscape designs
- Ability to use hand tools and power equipment safely
- Skill in designing creative seasonal and permanent plantings for display and education
- Willingness to share horticultural knowledge with visitors, volunteers and staff in informal settings and through formally scheduled programs
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to use of Microsoft Office suite
- Ability to plan and direct the work of seasonal staff, volunteers, and interns
- Ability to perform strenuous work in all weather conditions
- Some evening and weekend work is required, including assisting with special events
The compensation and benefits package features a defined retirement plan, generous annual, personal and sick leave, and medical and dental coverage.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Farm and Ranch Jobs.