The Wine Stewards guide our Guests through a wine experience that will exceed their expectations, while driving sales and providing excellent service and wine knowledge. As the wine steward, you will pair wine and food for Guests as requested or as helpful. You will impact the Guest experience in all steps of service, to include: initial greet (if applicable), order taking, confirmation of wine ordered and proper service of said wine including decanting and suggestive selling. You will move through the dining room communicating with all Guests, crewmembers, managers and vendors in a courteous and professional manner. You are pivotal in maintaining the physical inventory and constantly evolving the wine list itself.
- Minimum of 21 years of age
- High school graduate, some college.
- Level 1 Court of Masters, WSET level 2, or equivalent
- Current CA Food Handler’s Card.
- Ability to communicate verbal and written English with Guests, management and co-workers.
- Ability to add Guest notes to Open Table database.
- Ability to open all wine/champagne bottles with ease regardless of the difficulty of corks, openers, size of bottle, etc.
- Ability to recognize a wine that is up to our standard
- Complete knowledge of proper glassware to use and decanting technique.
- Maintain knowledge of major winemaking regions, vineyards, styles, vintages and producers and bottlings.
- Ability to maintain complete knowledge of the service standards
- Ability to describe characteristics, pricing and descriptions of every wine/champagne "by the glass" selection and all major wines on the wine list and dessert wine list.
- Understanding of state liquor regulations, particularly those prohibiting service to minors, intoxicated persons and drunk driving.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Drive sales at all times, keeping in mind the taste preference and budget parameters of the Guest, using suggestive selling techniques
- Visit table, take wine order, confirm during order-taking and upon presentation of wine, serve wine in an expert manner including proper pouring and decanting technique.
- On a shift-by-shift basis, build Open Table Guest notes database to build history of Guest to better serve/sell to the Guest.
- Manage the evening’s inventory of wine (restocking as needed)
- Follow wine service standards for ringing in and tracking orders.
- Maintain wine stock in service areas so wine can be served quickly to Guest.
- Maintain neat and organized condition of all wine storage areas.
- Maintain “Wine Bible” with one-page sheets for all current (and past) wines on wine list.
- Ensure that any Guest that is not 100% satisfied with our product or service is attended to immediately, and a manager is informed.
- Ensure that restaurant wine glassware and decanters are at par, available, and clean.
- Assist with inventories as directed by manager.
- Assist with wine ordering as directed by manager
- Assist with all other service to Guests as needed: Hosting, Bussing, Running Food/Drinks, taking orders, etc.
- Actively participate ongoing Crew wine education
- Maintain an eye for details.
- Keep self at a level of high energy and engagement.
- Maintain and grow an enthusiasm for the wine program.
- Complete side work duties as assigned.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Farm and Ranch Jobs.