SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES: The seasonal farm assistant will work under the supervision of the farm manager to accomplish day-to-day farm operations including materials handling, field maintenance, planting and harvest efforts, and necessary special projects at Forgotten Harvest Farms.
- Follow instructions of the Farm Manager in accomplishing the daily operations of the farm
- Identify and notify management of any unsafe, unsanitary, or unproductive conditions
- Work diligently and safely in extreme weather conditions while keeping properly hydrated
- Operate farm equipment to accomplish tillage, planting, maintenance, and harvesting tasks
- Assist in scouting for weeds, pests, and diseases
- Use a backpack sprayer to spot treat using non-restricted use farm chemicals
- Use hand tools to perform manual weeding, shoveling, and hoeing
- Properly plant seeds and transplants as instructed
- Harvest, package, and transport fruits and vegetables in a safe manner
- Stage necessary farm supplies for planting and harvest efforts
- Lead volunteer groups in various farm tasks
- Other Duties as assigned
- Must be able to read and write
- Must be able to use basic math skills to calibrate application equipment
- Must be able to competently follow directions given while working independently
- Must have previous farm, garden, landscaping or greenhouse experience or education
- Must be able to operate farm equipment
- Willingness and ability to work flexible work schedule
- Must have a valid MI Driver’s license and ability to get a MI Chauffer’s License
- Must have dependable transportation and be able to drive to NE Livingston County area
- Must be able to work within a group of diverse individuals while maintaining organization and professionalism
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; talk or hear; and taste or smell. The employee may be required to stand, walk, sit, and reach with hands and arms. The employee may occasionally be required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee may need to lift and/or move items weighing from 20-50+ pounds. Good vision abilities are needed for close vision, distance vision, and color vision.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Farm and Ranch Jobs.