Oversees the maintenance of all facilities in the County Park system including buildings, grounds, athletic fields, playgrounds, game courts, and other similar facilities. The work requires specialized training and prior experience in the field; the position reports to an administrative supervisor.
Essential Job Functions/Other Duties/KSA:
- Supervises maintenance staff to ensure that routine repairs and grounds work is accomplished. Assigns and reviews work, takes actions to adjust work, staffing and operations to meet requirements.
- Ensures park facilities are safe and free of obvious hazards; ensures facilities are clean, attractive, and well maintained.
- Monitors performance of independent contractors.
- Assists staff in performing minor plumbing, electrical, and carpentry tasks. Manages and actively engages in division's inclement weather operations.
- Establishes goals, strategies, and guidelines for the maintenance of the Park system and monitors their progress; prepares reports.
- Orders materials, supplies, and equipment; prepares work orders for accomplishment of maintenance needs; prepares annual maintenance budget; enters data into computer.
- Develops and implements a sports turf maintenance program. Applies professional turf grass standards to determine the effectiveness of the maintenance program and operation.
- Understands and utilizes concepts of integrated pest management while maintaining certification as a pesticide applicator.
- Trains lead workers in proper turf and field maintenance practices and procedures; trains staff in new preventative maintenance programs.
- Recommends new or improvements to existing park facilities.
- Manages positions and personnel to make best use of employees; interviews applicants and recommends and/or selects employees; develops employees' capabilities; counsels employees and recommends disciplinary actions; enforces agency and County human resources policies and procedures.
- Implements established goals and objectives in the organization; devises and implements work methods and procedures; reports on unit and program progress and effectiveness.
- Uses financial resources economically. Develops and maintains informational resources and safeguards their use. Procures stores and distributes supplies and material economically and efficiently. Ensures effective maintenance and operation of facilities and equipment.
- Coordinates programs and activities with other units; reports delays and problems promptly and takes appropriate actions to maintain effective coordination of activities.
- Prepares management reports; collects, analyzes and evaluates data and information and develops conclusions and recommendations thereon.
- Communicates understanding and support of organization goals and programs through actions and spoken and written words; interacts effectively with individuals and groups at all levels; maintains ties with external organizations; keeps all interested and involved parties informed of matters requiring their attention.
Other Job Duties
- Performs related work as required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (These are pre-employment KSA that apply only to Essential Job Functions.)
- Principles and practices of park maintenance.
- Methods, procedures and techniques of park facility maintenance and operation.
- Principles and practices of a sports turf and athletic field maintenance in the transition zone.
- Principles and practices of operation and maintenance of turf grass irrigation systems.
- Effective techniques of park management.
- Plan and direct large-scale park maintenance program.
- Demonstrate a high degree of administrative and executive ability, especially in terms of problem solving and decision making.
- Operate relevant computer systems including Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and Power Point.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with others encountered in the work.
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Deal effectively with the public.
Required Qualifications (Note: Any acceptable combination of education, training and experience that provides the above knowledge, skills, and abilities may be substituted on a full-time year for year basis.)
Training and/or Education:
Bachelor's degree in park management, agronomy, turfgrass science, or related field.
Three years of progressively responsible experience in the park and sports turf maintenance field which must include considerable experience managing staff, daily operations, customer service and policy development and implementation.
Licenses or Certificates:
- Valid driver's license required.
- Must obtain pesticide applicator certification in ornamental, turf, and industrial weed with one year of employment.
- Must obtain fertilizer applicators certification within one year of employment.
- Must obtain Certified Playground Safety Inspector certification within one year of employment.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Farm and Ranch Jobs.