Be part of the adventure! John Ball Zoo welcomes over 500,000 visitors a year where guests can learn and experience what it means to be active participants in the conservation of wildlife and our natural environment. We are hiring passionate and driven individuals to join the mission and help provide a memorable experience for our guests.
Under supervision, the Park Maintenance Worker I provides unskilled labor required for the care, cleaning and general maintenance of park facilities, including buildings, fixtures and furnishings: grounds, walkways, parking lots, and landscape forms: and other physical features.
Specifically, the successful candidate will;
- Sweep, mop, and vacuum park buildings.
- Clean and sanitize restrooms and restroom fixtures, drinking fountains and other park fixtures.
- Clean and maintain picnic areas, bandstands and other public areas.
- Collect and removes trash and rubbish to proper receptacles for removal and disposal.
- Remove trash, leaves, and other objects from grounds and landscape features.
- Install, maintain, cultivate, and remove plantings, including grass, shrubbery, trees and flowers.
- Remove snow and ice from walkways, accessways and parking lots.
- Replace light bulbs in indoor and outdoor fixtures.
- Report damaged and deteriorated building features, fixtures and furnishings and grounds and landscape features requiring repair or replacement to supervisor.
- May operate a light truck or other motorized vehicle for the purpose of transporting equipment and supplies between work sites within the park.
- Assist other park maintenance staff in erecting and repairing fencing and installing other major park features.
- Sets up tables, chairs and other items in the support of events.
- Perform all work in accordance with established safety procedures and practices.
- Perform related work as required.
- Some experience in housekeeping or janitorial work.
- Some experience in maintaining grounds, landscape forms and paved areas.
- Ability to stand and walk for prolonged periods of time.
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Ability to tolerate exposure to extreme hot and cold outdoor temperatures.
- Ability to descend and ascend from kneeling position and to raise and lower supplies weighing up to 50 lbs several times a day, with or without mechanical or other assistance.
- Ability to tolerate exposure to dust, dirt, pollen, commercial cleaning products, fertilizer, and other commonly used custodial and horticultural compounds.
Must be able to work in somewhat close proximity to exotic and domestic animals and tolerate exposure to animal dander, animal wastes and other zoonotic contaminants as well as dust, dirt, pollen and other airborne contaminants and occasional exposure to inclement weather, high humidity, and to extreme hot and cold temperatures.
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Farm and Ranch Jobs.